Rights & Responsibilities
- Each employee has the right to be treated fairly & respectfully in the workplace.
- Each employee is responsible to treat co- workers & customers/clients in a way that respects individual differences.
- Regardless of your position, or that of the people with whom you interact with,…. show mutual respect & consideration.
- If you have doubts about whether a joke, comment, or behaviour will embarrass, humiliate, degrade or bother someone,…
then don’t say or do it!
- If someone behaves in a way that offends, harms, humiliates or degrades you, do not put up with it.
- If you feel that you can speak to that person, do so. Let them know how you feel.
- Tell them the behaviour is inappropriate.
- If they continue the behaviour, report it.
- If you do not feel comfortable speaking to someone about their behaviour, see your supervisor or manager, to file a formal complaint.
- If you observe someone behaving in a way that seems embarrassing or harassing to someone else, you can & should speak up.
- Let them know in a respectful way, you think the behaviour is inappropriate.
- If you think someone is being harassed, let them know you support them in ending the situation.
- You may say something as the behaviour is happening, or you may decide to speak privately with either individuals involved.
- You can also discuss the situation with your supervisor, manager, human resources etc.
All workers have a responsibility to cooperate in an investigation of a complaint.
- Anyone who is involved in the process, must keep this information confidential, except as necessary to deal with the complaint.
- These are serious issues & people’s privacy must be respected.